I have been associated with the classical guitar for over 30 years. In 1991, when my wife Clarissa gave me my first classical guitar as an engagement gift, I touched the strings and began my passion with this wonderful instrument. For the past several decades, I have studiously taken private lessons on a weekly basis with local respected teachers.
I attended the rigorous guitar teaching training at the Alexandria Guitar Institute, successfully completing the Suzuki Association of the Americas Guitar teacher training. The Suzuki guitar program focuses generally on children. I was also trained on the Shearer Guitar Method for teens and adults. I can teach both classical guitar and finger picking styles. Currently, I teach both at home and as a substitute guitar teacher at the Baltimore School of Music.
Supplementing my experience in teaching beginning guitar for young folks, I have over the years been involved in working with children through the Girl Scouts of Central Maryland supporting my wife who was a brownie leader for over 20 years.
As a performer, I have many experiences in playing classical guitar in public including house concerts and recently a Driveway Mini Concert series. I also play regularly at regional Open mics (see Future events for schedule).
For over 20 years I was actively involved with the Baltimore Classical Guitar Society (BCGS), assuming many positions in the organization, including Vice-President, which includes the responsibility of directing the Society’s guitar outreach programs in the Baltimore community, including guitar day, master classes, open stages, and coordinating volunteers.
– B.S. in Business (Duquesne ) and M.A. in Economics (George Washington)
– Musical Education:
* Suzuki trained teacher in Guitar Unit 1 (2015) and Units 2 and 3 (2016)
* Shearer Guitar Method training in 2016, under the direction of Mike Kirkpatrick.
* Private lessons since 1991. 2001-2018 studied under Andy Mitchell and currently studying under Franco Platino.
– Past Vice-President of the Baltimore Classical Guitar Society (BCGS)
– Volunteered in various positions for BCGS since 1995
– Currently a substitute guitar teacher at the Baltimore School of Music
– Performs in BCGS open stages, master classes, ensembles and Open mics
– Performs solo at private events such as weddings, house concerts
– CD: “La Mia Fantasia” (request copy by contacting me)
– YouTube performances (search for George Pleat – over 35 posted so far)
– Original compositions: “La Mia Fantasia” and “Casa Dolce Casa” (download)
– Arranged several pieces for eight-string guitar
– “New Horizon” Video Album, 2021, YouTube link