I have been associated with the classical guitar for 25 years. In 1991, when my wife Clarissa gave me my first classical guitar as an engagement gift, I touched the strings and began my passion with this wonderful instrument. Over 25 years I have studiously taken private lessons on a weekly basis with local respected teachers.
I attended the rigorous guitar teaching training at the Alexandria Guitar Institute, successfully completing the Suzuki Association of the Americas Guitar teacher training. The Suzuki guitar program focuses generally on children and teens. I was also trained on the Shearer method that is focusing on teaching teens and adults. I can teach both classical and folk guitar.
Supplementing my experience in teaching beginning guitar for young folks, I have over the years been involved in working with children through the Girl Scouts of Central Maryland (registered and background checked) supporting my wife who was a brownie leader for over 20 years.
As a performer, I have many experiences in playing classical guitar in public including a recent house concert (November 2015) where I entertained over 40 friends and guitar colleagues.
Also over the last 20 years I have been actively involved with the Baltimore Classical Guitar Society (BCGS), assuming many positions in the organization, including Vice-President, which includes the responsibility of directing the Society’s guitar outreach programs in the Baltimore community, including guitar day, master classes, open stages, and coordinating volunteers.
– B.S. in Business (Duquesne ) and M.A. in Economics (George Washington)
– Musical Education:
* Suzuki trained teacher in Guitar Unit 1 (2015) and Units 2 and 3 (2016)
* Shearer method training in 2016.
* Private lessons since 1991. In 2001 started studying under Andy Mitchell
– Past Vice-President of the Baltimore Classical Guitar Society (BCGS)
– Volunteered in various positions for BCGS since 1995
– Performed in BCGS open stages, master classes, ensembles
– Performed solo at private events such as weddings, house concerts, and a memorial service
– CD: “La Mia Fantasia” (request copy by contacting me)
– YouTube performances (search for George Pleat – 5 posted so far)
– Original compositions: “La Mia Fantasia” and “Casa Dolce Casa” (download)
– Arranged several pieces for eight-string guitar