I have been associated with the classical guitar for over 30 years. In 1991, when my wife Clarissa gave me my first classical guitar as an engagement gift, I touched the strings and began my passion with this wonderful instrument. For the past several decades, I have studiously taken private lessons on a weekly basis with local respected teachers.
I attended the rigorous guitar teaching training at the Alexandria Guitar Institute, successfully completing the Suzuki Association of the Americas Guitar teacher training for children. I am also trained on the Shearer Guitar Method for teens and adults. I can teach both classical guitar and finger picking styles. Currently, I teach both at home and as a substitute guitar teacher at the Baltimore School of Music.
Supplementing my experience in teaching beginning guitar for young folks, I have over the years been involved in working with children through the Girl Scouts of Central Maryland supporting my wife who was a brownie leader for over 20 years.
As a performer, I have many experiences in playing classical guitar in public including house concerts, senior community centers, open mics and Driveway Mini Concert series. To see my future appearance please check What’s New for schedule. See also my past recordings of my past performances.
For over 20 years I was actively involved with the Baltimore Classical Guitar Society (BCGS), assuming many positions in the organization, including Vice-President, which includes the responsibility of directing the Society’s guitar outreach programs in the Baltimore community, including guitar day, master classes, open stages, and coordinating volunteers.
– B.S. in Business (Duquesne ) and M.A. in Economics (George Washington)
– Musical Education:
* Suzuki trained teacher in Guitar Unit 1 (2015) and Units 2 and 3 (2016)
* Shearer Guitar Method training in 2016, under the direction of Mike Kirkpatrick.
* Private lessons since 1991. 2001-2018 studied under Andy Mitchell and currently studying under Franco Platino.
– Past Vice-President of the Baltimore Classical Guitar Society (BCGS)
– Volunteered in various positions for BCGS since 1995
– Currently a substitute guitar teacher at the Baltimore School of Music
– Performs in BCGS open stages, master classes, ensembles and Open mics
– Performs solo at private events such as weddings, house concerts
– CD: “La Mia Fantasia” (request copy by contacting me)
– YouTube performances (search for George Pleat – over 35 posted so far)
– Original compositions: “La Mia Fantasia” and “Casa Dolce Casa” (download)
– Arranged several pieces for eight-string guitar
– “New Horizon” Video Album, 2021, YouTube link